Home » History




Glenderry National School was erected in 1874 under the supervision of Fr E.C. Daly, Parish Priest of Ballyheigue.
John Bowler was the first principal and by 1877 there were 96 students enrolled with separate classrooms for boys and girls.
A third schoolroom was added at the turn of the century and in 1939 the boys and girls schools were amalgamated. 
The school closed in April 1963 with the commissioning of a new school, Scoil Naomh Erc, Glenderry.
Maitiu O’Suilleabhain was the last principal of the Old School and his son Muiris was principal at Scoil Naomh Erc until recently.


The abandoned school was purchased by the Von Zitzewitz family having arrived in Kerry from Germany in 1965 to set up Kerry Head Cottage Industries.
The building was converted into a residential area, a craft shop and tearooms.
A network of local women from Ballyheigue to Glin produced Aran knitwear that was sold from the craft shop.
This industry continued into the early eighties at which stage the building reverted primarily to residential use.


The present owners purchased the Old School in 1999. Considerable work was carried out on the structure and interior to ensure all modern convenience while retaining the old world character of the building.
The Schoolroom was recently restored to its original condition with the intention of displaying historic information relating to the school and the local area, it is not normally open to guests but can be made available upon request.
The Old School is available for long or short-term letting and will sleep 6-8 persons in comfort.

 Take Our Virtual Tour